Friday, February 25, 2011

So...what EXACTLY causes the pain...?

Hello readers. As usual I hope everything is going well with you and your loved ones. Today I want to answer the question of one of my readers and it will address what EXACTLY causes the pain from a sickle cell crisis (bouts of painful episodes). Ok so lets compare a non-sickler (person without sickle cell disease) to someone with the disease.

Non Sickler: In non sicklers, red blood cells are round in shape, soft in texture and obtain all of the necessary nutrients required to carry out specific functions in the body. One of the most important things that the red blood cell is responsible for is hemoglobin (an oxygen carrying protein). In non sicklers, the red blood cell has sufficient levels of hemoglobin normally ranging from 12-15. The shape and texture of these cells allow them to flow with ease through blood vessels (large or tiny) delivering oxygen and complete blood circulation throughout the body. Organs, organ systems and tissue all benefit from the adequate flowing of red blood cells, allowing the person to lead a pain-free life.

On the other hand. . .

Sicklers: In individuals with sickle cell red blood cells can become crescent (moon shaped like the letter “C”) or irregularly shaped, plus hard and sticky in texture. The important protein that carries oxygen (hemoglobin) that I mentioned earlier is inadequate in sicklers. This lack of hemoglobin starves the body of oxygen and can cause tissue/organ damage/death. This mainly causes fatigue and hinders the level of strenuous tasks able to be performed. Now on to the nuisance that is directly responsible for the pain sicklers suffer. The combination of irregular shape and hard and sticky texture makes it very difficult for the cells to flow easily throughout blood vessels (especially in joints where the vessels are curved and smaller). This causes the cells to get stuck (clot), therefore; blocking blood flow to that area of the body. The jagged edges of the cells stab at the vessel walls causing pain. The best way I can describe it is imagining jagged shards of broken glass trying to flow through small blood vessels; its like getting stabbed from the inside.

These backups can occur in any place in the body that has blood vessels. Infants and toddlers usually have more trouble with hands and feet. Younger children start to have joint pain. Teenagers usually begin suffering with their long bones (arms and legs). Adults can start to have issues with organs and organ systems. Many complications are caused from crisis due to the body being compromised. Heart attacks are common amongst sicklers, as well as collapsing lungs and strokes.
The physical pain can be annoying and debilitating. Often times sicklers may be put on temporary aids to help with movement such as walkers, wheelchairs, motor scooters, and canes. These assistance tools allow mobility to be a viable option to sicklers even in the midst of crisis.

As always, any further questions, just comment and ask and I’ll respond to you specifically or post a topic entrĂ©e on the blog. Thanks for reading 

-Sickle Cell Soldier

1 comment:

  1. I'm Trisha Nelson. I contracted HIV 4 years ago, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV/AIDS. I started taking my ARVs, My CD4 was 77 and the viral load was 112,450. I made research on a herbal remedy and I saw Dr. James Herbal mixed medicine, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses His strong herbal mix medicine to cure HIV/AIDS. I contacted him and told him my problems, He told me not to be worried anymore that I will benefit and get cured of his herbal medicine for Hiv/Aids. I never doubted Him because I believed I will be cured as nature has the power to cure all kinds of sickness when herbal medicine is being used in the right proportion. He prepared his herbal drink and sent it to me, and I took it for 3 weeks morning and evening in a quantity he told me, after that, I went for a check-up and I was cured of HIV. his herbal mix medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT AND EASY TO DRINK, there's no special diet when taking Dr. James herbal mix medicine. He told me he got cures diseases like  Alzheimer's disease, Cancer, Bipolar disorder, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia, Fibromyalgia. Dupuytren's disease, Desmoplastic, Diabetes, Coeliac disease, Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Hpv, Weak Erection, Wart Remover. Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic, Wart Remover, Melasma, Parkinson, perioral dermatitis, thyroid, HPV, ALS, KIDNEY DISEASES, SHINGLES., and more. You can reach him on his Email address  [Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]  thanks 

    ReplyDelete