Thursday, February 10, 2011

A snippet of how SCD has affected me

Jasmine Bailey
Age 21

Sometimes the physical pain is the easiest part to deal with; but, that by no stretch of the imagination means that it is easy. There are just so many other aspects of life besides the physical that are affected by having sickle cell disease. I recall the disease specifically taking a toll on my mental/emotional state all of my life; but, especially during college. Imagine all of your friends, classmates and roommates going to class during the day, pulling all-nighters, partying in clubs until exhaustion, and doing it all over again with no problem. I wanted to be “normal” so badly but I always had to choose between activities because doing more than one would send me into a pain crisis. Due to this I always felt left out and inadequate compared to my peers which ultimately wreaked havoc on my social life.


The part that hurt me the most was the fact that sickle cell affected my academic life. I’ve always loved school and learning so making good grades was never a problem. However, when I started to receive C’s and sometimes even failing grades because of missing classes or something other than intellectual ability, I felt cheated. It seems as though I have to work ten times as hard just to make average grades when it comes so easy to my peers; not to mention the fact that one crisis/hospital visit can undo weeks of studying and drop an A to a D in an uncontrollable instant.


I’m embarrassed to say but sometimes I allowed this disease to affect my spiritual life. During crisis when I’d be writhing in pain, suffering, struggling to breathe, and weak beyond reason; I’d ask “Why God, why me?”. I at times just couldn’t understand how a greater being would allow this suffering to occur; but, with growth and maturity I’ve taken that negative in thinking this was my curse and turned it to a positive and as a blessing. Due to my struggles with this disease I’ve learned to persevere, to be resilient and write my emotions out through the art form of poetry that has served as encouragements to others as well as myself.


Like I said earlier, sometimes the physical pain is the easiest part to deal with. I say that because its expected, its inevitable so we know it is coming and we know what it feels like. I am familiar with my bones feeling like jagged shards of glass are trying to flow through my veins. I am acquainted with the feeling of tightness present when my lungs are filling with fluid or on the verge of collapsing. I know what its like to be stuck with needles 30 plus times to find an IV site amongst scarred veins. I’m use to gasping for air and have nothing happen but a mere struggle, or to feel so fatigued that speaking becomes a feat. I’ve had my legs and ankles swell rendering me immobile for 7 months while I used a wheelchair, walker and cane. Not to mention experiencing the torment of side effects of being on 14 different medications—side effects ranging from nausea to constipation, diarrhea to hair loss, weight gain to confusion, dry mouth to swelling.


While all of those things seem almost intolerable, they wan in comparison to the stigmas that we as sicklers face. I have lost friends who just couldn’t handle the overwhelming nature of this disease. Family members have treaded the land of frustration because they want me to get better—it makes me feel like a burden though I know they just want the best. I’ve had judgmental eyes follow me through hallways while I wheel myself as strangers recall I was just walking the other day. I’ve lived the embarrassment of walking with a walker in public and have people stare in curiosity and are cordial because they feel sorry for me. Then there is the biggest brunt to bear—the myth of sicklers being drug seeking. As if it weren’t enough to deal with the pain and fighting our own body, we have to fight nurses, PCA’s, and doctors/hematologists who may think we’re exaggerating our pain or even lying about it altogether. No doubt there exist drug seekers in the sickle cell community but I’m sure that’s the case with every disease. However, it seems to be the standard generalization or label when medical personnel encounter people with sickle cell. This is an unfair judgment and we should be treated as individuals instead of by unwarranted conclusions drawn up by a person who hasn’t walked a step in our shoes.


Overall we hope for empathy not sympathy, for people to be educated, for people to get tested to minimize the people born with the disease. In addition and most importantly we’d like equal attention for our disease that is often undermined, underpublicized (if at all), and overlooked. Ultimately with the collaborative effort of all of those elements we can lower the mortality rate, increase the QOL (quality of life), get research that’ll lead to a cure—or in the case a cure is not found we can offer a range of support for each sector of life; thus giving sicklers the equal opportunity to be functional and contributing members of society like everyone else.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jasmine...I have read your blog and though I myself am not a sickler my first encounter with someone affected with the disease was when I was in high school and there were two brothers who were very close to me and I can remember when they would have a crisis and would miss weeks at a time from school. I remember how the Jaundice affected their eyes and the oldest brother Newton was his name would say to me Grace you have no idea how much pain I am in...and truly I didn't but being my friend I was able to empathize with him. Years later I married a man who two had siblings that have Sickle Cell and my son was born with the C trait but not the disease it self so he would never show any symptoms. My brother-in-law fought a very hard battle for 49 years and was finally put to sleep by the Lord. He never complained about his pain even when we could see pain in his eyes. He loved living and he wasn't afraid of hard work when he was able to. His name was Peter. He had the most contagious laugh and anyone and everyone who he ever met he made them a lifelong friend. I believe like Peter you too only wanted people to understand you when you say you are not feeling well or that the pain is beyond bearing. I also have a niece who was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus at the age of 8, she is now 13 years old...she has lost both her kidneys and was blessed with a transplant over a year ago. I have seen her at her worst and know that all that she has endured during her 13 short years of life I probably would not have been able to withstand. One thing I do know is that in all these struggles that I witnessed with my loved ones I see God. I see Him holding their hands and guiding them through the pain. I believe that God knew that I could not have endure that pain and still be faithful, so He allowed Newton (my friend), Peter (my brother-in-law) and Kadian (my niece) to go through it so that I can see how He delivers and guides. He has given me peace of mind to be able to support them emotionally when I could endure their pain. I pray that God will continue to use you and others to show His Goodness in spite of challenges and stumbling blocks and darts that the enemy uses against us. God Bless you and continue to live for Him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine,

    I really enjoyed reading your post and how you covered all aspects of how SCD has affected your life. I appreciate your honesty to the world and to yourself for not being ashamed to say that the disease has even affected your spiritual life. I think you shed light on a doubt that many people with sickle cell and other chronic diseases, deal with often. As always, you are an inspiration and a sickle soldier. I love your blog and please keep the posts coming! :)

    Best,

    Chiv

    ReplyDelete
  3. To anonymous: thank you for reading first a foremost. I appreciate the support and also thank you for sharing because that in turn inspires/encourages me. I wish the best to the sicklers you know and am sorry for the loves you've lost;but, I know as well as you that they're in a better state and place with our Lord. I can totally relate to the Lupus story, because I also have been recently diagnosed with Lupus and my mother passed form systemic lupus ten years ago at the young age of 28, leaving behind two daughters (me at 11 and my sister at 7). Best wishes to you neice. I'm glad that you see the blessing through "tragedy" and that gives me and people like me so much purpose. I feel like "mission accomplished" :). Please continue reading, commenting and suggesting topics for posts. Be well and stay blessed.

    -Sickle cell soldier

    To Charoy: thank you for reading, especially as a friend. It makes me feel like there is a real effort to understand what I'm going through to better support me. As always its a pleasure to pass on something to someone else and again it makes it even that much more special when its a friend. Keep reading :)

    -Sickle Cell Soldier

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great post. I would love to see if published somewhere, so people could really "get it."

    I became sick at 24 with lupus, and i know totally what you mean about people staring at you because you're using a cane, assuming you are faking it because you were fine before, or because you are so young they can't comprehend the whole thing.

    I also understand feeling "why me?"- but once i started talking about my illness, it seemed like *everyone* knew someone who was seriously ill. At which point i thought- hmm, maybe i wasn't singled out for excrusciating pain. Seems like it's more common than i realized.

    I have found a nice balance for my own life and am currently pain-free and only on a low dose of blood pressure medicine. it took a lot of experimenting around with diets, rest, acupuncture, and other things like that- and i don't know if any of those things would help with sickle cell, but i wish and hope the very best for you, that you get relief from both the pain of the disease and the pain of the treatment.

    i definitely recommend talking to other SC and lupus patients online about works for them. we have to help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the singing patient: Its good to know someone out there understands but I do realize what you mean when you say you found it was more of a common thing than you initially thought. Thank you for reading and approving :). I want to interact with other sicklers and lupus patients,that is one of the functions that I hope my blog will serve. I know I try to pass on any little piece of information I have that I feel would help. I need to experiment with some natural alternative medicines as well. I know they help but moreso long term; however, in the midst of a crisis when your bones are throbbing, you're not thinking about taking a little green multi vitamin lol. So I need to get on the herbs now so they will prevent the pain from occurring in the first place. Keep reading and make suggestions for posts. Anything you want to know regarding the disease in general or even the most personal of questions directed toward me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jas, all I can say is the you're amazing and that you're a hero! Its very hard sometimes to accept the difficult task that God has assigned us in this life. It often comes with a lot of pain and "WHY?" Days, but think of it as being a solider that is so special that he thought me strong enough to endure this just to be a witness, and advocate, a friend, a life saver even for someone who can't quite cope or who is not as strong and/or resilient as I am. You're a special angel Jasmine! Please don't ever lose sight of that and don't ever give up the fight. People like me need your gift! Your poetry and your story has lifted me and gven me purpose many a day and I truely thank God for you and your beautiful spirit! Forever praying for your strength and a cure! Love ya lots just because you are WHO you are! Keep flying high angel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Jasmine, I've only met you recently, but what I have gained through getting to know you is more than I can express with my limited vocabulary. I can see God's orchestrating hands in your life; I can see that He has equipped you well for the purpose for which you are sent. I can see that not only have you been instrumental in helping fellow sicklers and persons with other chronic diseases; but your demonstrative stories and persevering spirit have encouraged and empowered the will of others in whatever challenges they face; to never give up on the Almighty Power and Sovereignty of our Father in Heaven. As you once shared with me your belief that God would never put upon you more than you can bear; that He has actually chosen and trusts you to bear such an enormous burden; causes me to believe that this burden is more for His glory and because He knows that you will use your pain, suffering, growth and success to share His love, wisdom, strength, and blessings with others. Though this is such a tremendous task, He is with you, fulfilling His promise to never leave or forsake you. Yes, you worked 10x harder perhaps, to achieve; but you are 10x times more blessed with knowledge and wisdom! You are 10x stronger, you are even more determined to see success manifested in your life! I see that God created an artist and gave her a voice to speak for many who don't know how, or cannot speak for themselves; and also to communicate with others, showing identification with their suffering; with their struggles--in all aspects of their battle. What I do know is that Almighty God wants us to depend on His strength and His all sufficient grace to get us through, and this my friend, is shown forth again and again, in your many testimonies and in the encouragement you give. Please know that your suffering has not been in vain. I believe that many people will be reached, that many will overcome, that many will reach out with helping hands; that many will view life differently because of you; a vessel of honor, unto God. We love you, Miss Jasmine! Your presence is a present to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you. I had not read this. Something just told me to visit my blog today; although I clearly haven't been here in ages. I started reading my posts and it was actually inspiring me. My own stories, experiences and wor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words*. And I thank God for that. Then I was just going over some of the comments and reading them were also uplifting and offered support. So I thank everyone who responded. I REALLY want to keep my blog regular and post these snippets consistently but it's like such a lack of a response that it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ends up discouraging me. But thank you, and are you Ms. Elizabeth cuz I realized hey idk who this person is lol. But whoever u are, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete